This house was built around 1800 and was being used as a public house called the Nag’s Head by 1808 when the licensee was Mary Quay – there was a cow-house and a yard at the back.
The pub was a feature of Neston life for nearly a century, but by 1905 the national movement for reducing the number of licensed premises meant that two of those run by Birkenhead Brewery in Neston had to go and those were the Sawyers Arms in Parkgate, and The Nag’s Head in High Street.
So in January 1906 the pub closed for good, and very soon the premises, now with stable and yard, were bought by J. Hughes, who had a shop in Bridge Street previously. As popular local grocers J.R. Hughes & Sons they are still remembered by some residents. The coloured1906 plans for alterations to be done by William Pritchard of Little Neston are shown.
The next owner, from 1966, was the Midland Bank/HSBC which gave up its Neston business in 2016. (Photo shows works being done in 1966 ready for the bank business.)
And finally, Domino’s Pizza opened in January 2019.