A Brief History
The name ‘Neston’ is almost certainly derived from the Anglo-saxon term Ness-tun, a settlement near a promontory. The earliest evidence of people living in Neston is provided by the collection of Viking-era grave crosses in the Parish Church, indicating a prosperous Christian settlement here at that period, the 10th century, before the Normans came. Domesday Book tells us that Neston had a priest at that time.
From the 14th century there is evidence of the town’s importance as a port, serving as part of the port of Chester when vessels could not reach the city. There was a busy trade in importing wine from France and Spain, and other goods included sheepskins, calfskins and cloth. In 1541 a start was made on building a pier on the river near the boundary between Neston and Little Neston, at the site where a few remains now linger from the Old Quay House. In the early 1600s we find the first mentions of Parkgate which became a major port for Ireland until the early 1800s, when Liverpool finally eclipsed it.
The colliery at Ness was opened in 1759 and became a major industry in the area, finally closing in 1927. Neston is now a residential area.