The name Bridson is a familiar one in Neston and although the firm of Robert Bridson and Son is no longer in operation many Nestonians remember the steam roller which was stored in Bridson’s yard and a fair few remember riding on the back of it…read more
Neston South Wirral Hockey Club currently traces its beginnings to 1963 when Neston Hockey Club was formed but another hockey team played for one season in 1900-1 at the cricket club at Parkgate… read more
Although the need for a public hall in Neston had been discussed before, it was only in 1887, the year of Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee (50th anniversary of her accession to the throne) that it began to look like a serious possibility. read more
The Shipwrecked Fishermen and Mariners Royal Benevolent Society ( Shipwrecked Mariners Society for short) was known locally as the ‘boat club’ and in the latter half of the nineteenth century a number of Parkgate and Neston fishermen were subscribers…read more
The Monster Box: sterling silver, the inside of the lid and hinge nuts, gilt. Hallmarked Chester 1930. Maker’s mark of Andrea Pallis, and also bearing the mark of James Smithies, metalworker, of Wilmslow (perhaps as retailer)
Bowl and spoon: Britannia standard silver, entirely gilt. Hallmarked Chester 1927. Maker’s mark of Andrea Pallis.
Large mug: Britannia standard silver, entirely gilt. Hallmarked Chester 1934. Maker’s mark of Andrea Pallis.
Pictured above is the Old Quay House, formerly the House of Correction, at Little Neston.
Read its story in ‘NESTON STONE AGE TO STEAM AGE’, the book published by Burton & Neston History Society telling the story of the Neston area from earliest times.
The book costs £14.95 and is available for sale locally at Temptation, Neston High Street, Gordale Garden Centre and Little Neston newsagents, online on ebay.co. uk or by post from Burton and Neston History Society who may be contacted by E-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for details of how to order a copy.